Livermore, Pleasanton, Danville, Short Sale Specialist
  

Compost bins near house

When a middle-aged man in England died in 2008 after inhaling dense clouds of compost dust, a German scientist told reporters: “Even just opening the lid of a bin containing organic waste can cause mold spores to be stirred up, which, if breathed in, can damage the lungs.”

An extreme case? Definitely. An overly cautious reaction? Probably not. Repeated exposure to mold spores heightens the risk of developing an allergy, experts say. Those with asthma or compromised immune systems are more susceptible.

When organic material decomposes, it becomes hot and moist, the ideal environment for fungi. Unprotected contact with compost can, most commonly, cause aspergillosis, the fungal infection that killed the British man; farmer’s lung, which resembles pneumonia; histoplasmosis, a lung infection; Legionnaire’s disease, a respiratory infection; paronychia, a painful tissue infection; or tetanus, a bacterial infection.

Keep compost bins at least partly uncovered, to allow air circulation, and wear a mask and gloves when turning. Don’t bring contaminated clothing into the house.

Follow Me
Share Us
US AverageMortgage Rates
30 Year Fixed loading...
15 Year Fixed loading...
5/1 ARM loading...
Loan Calculator Mortgage Calculator
MortgageLoan
$
years
%
Categories
Property Manager Login


Forgot your Password?
New Users

RE/MAX Accord Office Locations

 

RE/MAX Accord 1841 4th Street, Livermore CA 94550 925-373-7011

 

RE/MAX Accord 5950 StoneRidge Dr, Pleasanton CA 94588 925-373-7011

 

RE/MAX Accord 350 Montgomery Street San Ramon, CA 94583 925-373-7011

 

RE/MAX Accord 313 Sycamore Valley Road West, Danville, CA 94526 925-373-7011